Sberbank Kazakhstan and OpenWay launch cardless cash withdrawal service
- Customers of Sberbank Kazakhstan can now withdraw cash at more than 900 ATMs without a bankcard. The service was implemented quickly and cost-effectively on the WAY4 payment platform. The new service is scheduled via Sberbank Online, one of the most in-demand online banking services in Kazakhstan.
- The new Cash by Code functionality was developed by OpenWay together with a third party integration company. OpenWay is a recognised leader in software for bankcard issuing and acquiring, payment processing, omni-channel banking, financial switching, and mobile payments.
March 23, 2016 - Almaty, Kazakhstan
Sberbank Kazakhstan, whose services are used by 20% of the country's economically active population, now offers customers the ability to withdraw cash without a card at any of 900 Sberbank ATMs across Kazakhstan. To make a cardless withdrawal, the customer simply enters a secret code at the ATM.
Despite its simplicity, WAY4 Cash by Code guarantees a high level of security. Customers specify the withdrawal amount and a cell phone number via the Sberbank Online system. A 2-part code is generated. The customer receives the first part via Sberbank Online and the second part via an SMS message.
To withdraw the funds, the customer enters both parts of the code and the withdrawal amount at any Sberbank ATM. As an additional security measure, the codes are only valid for 24 hours and the funds return to the sender's account, if they are not collected within that time. Customers can withdraw from 1,000 to 100,000 tenge ($3-3,000).
Andrei Timchenko, Deputy CEO – Retail at Sberbank Kazakhstan: "Cash by Code gives our customers hassle-free access to their funds, even if they lose their card or forget it at home. We really focus on optimising retail banking processes -- and developing and implementing innovative IT solutions plays a key role in this."
“The Sberbank Kazakhstan team is always open to innovation. Together with OpenWay, the bank is implementing services on the WAY4 platform that enable it to increase loyalty among existing customers but also to attract new customers,” comments Dmitry Dovgal, deputy director of business development at OpenWay.
The WAY4 Cash By Code solution is already implemented successfully in various countries in Africa, Southeast Europe and Asia.
Sberbank Online offers broad functionality to the customers: p2p-transfers using a mobile phone number, transfer requests, crowdfunding, personal finance management, and many other services.
OpenWay Group was founded over 15 years ago. We develop WAY4, an innovative e-payment processing framework for banks, payment processors, telcos and petrol companies.
OpenWay was initially headquartered in Brussels, Belgium with one R&D team there and another in St. Petersburg, Russia. Today we are a global company with 10 offices and 130 customers around the world.
Our portfolio consists of WAY4 Card and Merchant Management, Financial Switching, Personalised Channel Banking, Prepaid Cards, E-Commerce, Mobile Payments, Digital Wallet, DCC, Fuel Cards, and other solutions.
Our customers include tier-1 giants, mid-size companies, and ambitious start-ups:
- Equens, Western Europe (SEPA-acquiring of 0.5 million merchants on WAY4)
- Savings Bank of Russia (issuing and acquiring back-office, and authorization switch for 140 million credit and debit cards on WAY4)
- SIX Group, a leading European payment company processing over 4,000,000 cards and migrated over 30 banks to WAY4 within 15 months
- Comdata, USA (commercial cards on WAY4)
- Network International, the Middle East (a processing center with approximately 60 banks on WAY4)
- Raiffeisenbank Int., Eastern Europe (a processing center for 15 banks and countries on WAY4)
- Bank Audi, MENA region (more than 40 card products on WAY4 including NFC)
- Halyk Bank of Kazakhstan (the first bank to launch Visa P2P Mobile Transfers)
- Lukoil Intercard, Eastern Europe (B2B fuel cards with comprehensive loyalty services on WAY4)
WAY4 live installations consistently demonstrate high performance; for example, 90 million cards issued and authorized on a single platform and 12 million POS/ATM clearing transactions processed daily by a single acquirer.
OpenWay, known for its commitment to long-term relationships, both serves customers locally and provides global support. Today our team unites approximately 500 payment business, digital technology, and security professionals.
Sberbank Kazakhstan belongs to the Sberbank international group. The bank has been successfully operating in Kazakhstan for 8 years and in the top 4 banks in Kazakhstan in terms of assets. Today, Sberbank Kazakhstan has a branch network of 117 structural units, including 16 branches. The bank's central office is in Almaty.