AzeriCard and OpenWay Transformed Mobile Banking into Mobile Wallet
• AzeriCard and OpenWay's joint project brought a mobile innovation to Azerbaijan.
• WAY4 Cash By Code On Mobile technology allows for cash withdrawals and transfers on ATMs without a bankcard, using a mobile phone only.
• This project is part of AzeriCard’s mobile wallet strategy, and was implemented by OpenWay engineers in just 2 months.
• Cardless cash-out operations are supported by 1300 ATMs all over Azerbaijan.
August 6, 2013 - Baku, Azerbaijan
AzeriCard, the pioneer of card processing in Azerbaijan, and OpenWay, a recognized leader in software solutions for the payment industry, improved mobile banking service with the WAY4 Cash By Code technology. By generating a code on a cellphone, this technology allows for withdrawing cash on an ATM without a plastic card. This convenient 'mobile wallet' proved appealing to clients of 14 of AzeriCard’s partner banks. The new service also works as instant money transfer to recipients without a bankcard. The Cash By Code option was added to the menu of 1300 ATMs all over Azerbaijan.
The mobile banking with the Cash By Code option was developed by OpenWay. The solution works on iPhone, Android and BlackBerry smartphones, as well as on Java-enabled feature phones. The mobile banking menu allows the user to type in an operation amount and select the preferred card and currency from the list. The amount on the card account gets blocked for the next 24 hours, and the phone displays a generated code. Users can withdraw cash themselves or send the code to another person for money transfer. A valuable advantage of the service is elimination of ATM skimming risks.
If no withdrawal happens within 24 hours, the amount on the card account will be unblocked automatically. The mobile banking user can initiate an earlier unblocking, for example, in case of a lost or compromised code.
Anar Sultanov, the Managing Director of AzeriCard, says: “AzeriCard’s portfolio of card, mobile and web payment technologies has been growing rapidly, based on the solutions and international expertise of our partner OpenWay Group. Implementation of WAY4 Cash By Code On Mobile was a logical and important step towards the multifunctional mobile wallet service.
This money transfer scheme is not limited to ATMs and has much potential for other self-service channels. Our clients can initiate Cash By Code operations on ATMs, and soon they will be able to do so via Internet banking”.
From January 2013, over 600 new users activate the mobile banking with Cash By Code every month. These are the clients of banks using AzeriCard's processing facilities – International Bank of Azerbaijan, AGBank, Bank Respublika, Bank Technique, Nikoil, Parabank, Turan, Amrahbank, ATA Bank, Silk Way bank, Bank of Azerbaijan, and Xalq bank.
AzeriCard is the first processing centre in Azerbaijan that has been fully certified by international payment schemes MasterCard, Visa, and American Express. At the moment, AzeriCard processes transactions for 29 banks both in Azerbaijan and abroad. 26 of them are members of international payment schemes. AzeriCard actively implements top-notch high-tech projects, such as fare payment by contactless smart card, phone payments, utility payments, custom fee and tax payments, mobile and Web banking, card-to-card transfers, insurance fee payment via ATM, deposits, various loyalty programmes, multicurrency cards, etc. Today, AzeriCard’s system services about 2,000,000 bank cards, 1,300 ATMs and 6,000 POS terminals.
OpenWay Group was founded over 15 years ago. We develop WAY4, an innovative e-payment processing framework for banks, payment processors, telcos and petrol companies.
OpenWay was initially headquartered in Brussels, Belgium with one R&D team there and another in St. Petersburg, Russia. Today we are a global company with 10 offices and 130 customers around the world.
Our portfolio consists of WAY4 Card and Merchant Management, Financial Switching, Personalised Channel Banking, Prepaid Cards, E-Commerce, Mobile Payments, Digital Wallet, DCC, Fuel Cards, and other solutions.
Our customers include tier-1 giants, mid-size companies, and ambitious start-ups:
- Equens, Western Europe (SEPA-acquiring of 0.5 million merchants on WAY4)
- Savings Bank of Russia (issuing and acquiring back-office, and authorization switch for 140 million credit and debit cards on WAY4)
- SIX Group, a leading European payment company processing over 4,000,000 cards and migrated over 30 banks to WAY4 within 15 months
- Comdata, USA (commercial cards on WAY4)
- Network International, the Middle East (a processing center with approximately 60 banks on WAY4)
- Raiffeisenbank Int., Eastern Europe (a processing center for 15 banks and countries on WAY4)
- Bank Audi, MENA region (more than 40 card products on WAY4 including NFC)
- Halyk Bank of Kazakhstan (the first bank to launch Visa P2P Mobile Transfers)
- Lukoil Intercard, Eastern Europe (B2B fuel cards with comprehensive loyalty services on WAY4)
WAY4 live installations consistently demonstrate high performance; for example, 90 million cards issued and authorized on a single platform and 12 million POS/ATM clearing transactions processed daily by a single acquirer.
OpenWay, known for its commitment to long-term relationships, both serves customers locally and provides global support. Today our team unites approximately 500 payment business, digital technology, and security professionals.