OpenWay and LICARD’s Unique IT Project Promotes Cashless and Contactless Payments at LUKOIL Filling Stations Worldwide
LICARD, a key player in the Russian and CIS fuel card market, and OpenWay, a leading international developer of IT solutions for payment card issuing and acquiring, have implemented a unique project. For the first time in the history of the Russian fuel and energy industry, all types of bank, fuel and loyalty cards were united on a single processing platform. LICARD’s choice is the WAY4 platform from OpenWay.
January 25, 2013 - St. Petersburg, Russia
Based on WAY4, LICARD’s new system for payment processing and financial transaction accounting was launched. It processes bank, fuel and loyalty card payments, both online and offline, keeps detailed accounting records for all card transactions, and provides flexible settlement to clients with individual requirements. WAY4 also supports international clearing and fuel card acquiring abroad.
An additional advantage of the system is the capability of acquiring MasterCard PayPass contactless cards. At the moment, this function is available at most of Lukoil filling stations in 65 regions of Russia. Also, implementation of the new WAY4-based accounting system has substantially shortened the clearing and settlement cycle between fuel suppliers and clients, which promoted more effective management of filling stations. Thanks to the new system, LICARD clients can now manage their cards and accounts through their personal profiles and receive mobile notifications of key changes in their accounts.
“With this new high-tech and promising and yet unprecedented solution in production, LICARD can issue new competitive products and strengthen its positions in the fuel card market,” Nikolay Yashin, LUKOIL-Inter-Card’s Deputy CEO for technological development, summed up the results of the collaboration.
“The project with LUKOIL-Inter-Card is a proof of WAY4’s wide range of functions. It can be used to specify rules for determining each product’s price when performing a transaction, set up card acquiring limits, as well as implement various schemes of settlement with clients. All transactions in LICARD’s network are managed by a single processing infrastructure. Based on our platform, LICARD will be able to implement new strategic projects without investing in new IT solutions,” said Sergey Lebedev, OpenWay’s Deputy CEO for business development in Russia.
LUKOIL-Inter-Card Limited Liability Company, a subsidiary of JSC LUKOIL, is an operator for development and use of the system for cashless fuel payments in LUKOIL filling stations with the use of plastic cards.
- Leader in the fuel card market in Russia and the CIS.
- Over 12 years of successful work with Russian and foreign customers.
- Extensive service network: LUKOIL fuel cards and other types of card products are accepted via the LIKARD system in over 3,700 filling stations, including 2,756 LUKOIL filling stations, in 65 regions of Russia as well as in Belarus, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, the Ukraine, Azerbaijan, Poland, Moldova, Hungary, Czech Republic, and Serbia. The LIKARD system is now being extended to Bulgaria, Belgium, and Turkey.
- State-of-the-art processing, high-quality and prompt service.
- 110 regional customer service offices.
- Over 750 thousand LUKOIL fuel cards and about 2.5 million LUKOIL loyalty cards in circulation.
- Over 140 thousand individuals and companies using LUKOIL fuel cards.
OpenWay Group was founded over 15 years ago. We develop WAY4, an innovative e-payment processing framework for banks, payment processors, telcos and petrol companies.
OpenWay was initially headquartered in Brussels, Belgium with one R&D team there and another in St. Petersburg, Russia. Today we are a global company with 10 offices and 130 customers around the world.
Our portfolio consists of WAY4 Card and Merchant Management, Financial Switching, Personalised Channel Banking, Prepaid Cards, E-Commerce, Mobile Payments, Digital Wallet, DCC, Fuel Cards, and other solutions.
Our customers include tier-1 giants, mid-size companies, and ambitious start-ups:
- Equens, Western Europe (SEPA-acquiring of 0.5 million merchants on WAY4)
- Savings Bank of Russia (issuing and acquiring back-office, and authorization switch for 140 million credit and debit cards on WAY4)
- SIX Group, a leading European payment company processing over 4,000,000 cards and migrated over 30 banks to WAY4 within 15 months
- Comdata, USA (commercial cards on WAY4)
- Network International, the Middle East (a processing center with approximately 60 banks on WAY4)
- Raiffeisenbank Int., Eastern Europe (a processing center for 15 banks and countries on WAY4)
- Bank Audi, MENA region (more than 40 card products on WAY4 including NFC)
- Halyk Bank of Kazakhstan (the first bank to launch Visa P2P Mobile Transfers)
- Lukoil Intercard, Eastern Europe (B2B fuel cards with comprehensive loyalty services on WAY4)
WAY4 live installations consistently demonstrate high performance; for example, 90 million cards issued and authorized on a single platform and 12 million POS/ATM clearing transactions processed daily by a single acquirer.
OpenWay, known for its commitment to long-term relationships, both serves customers locally and provides global support. Today our team unites approximately 500 payment business, digital technology, and security professionals.